Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Why Homestead?

I have a fair few goals in mind, which is leading me to begin this adventure. Some are financial, some spiritual, and some just because my partner and I think it would be nice to take a step back from what has become the norm for Americans.

The financial part is a bit self-explanatory. We want to save some money by doing certain things for ourselves. Ideally, we would be able to grow all our own food on the property. I highly doubt the feasibility of that we're we are now, but I figured why not start? There's no time like the present, and every little bit will help us get to a point to move to a larger parcel of land. 

Our first financial goal is to start growing our own food. This will cut down on grocery expenses, hopefully. 

Next year we'll add chickens, Maybe some rabbits. Expand the garden, get some fruit trees. Some berry bushes around the property line. 

I'm not sure how long we're going to be at this property, as that depends on a whole slew of other factors... I'm hoping to be out of here in a few years, maybe? Then we'll start a lot over, but be in a better position and have more space.


Part of the reason my partner got into contract for this property was for a place to hold religious gatherings. There doesn't seem to be a large social heathen population in the area, but we have a few friends who make it out occasionally for a blót. I would like to grow the community we do have. I know there are at least a couple of families in the area that I would like to get to know, and maybe educate the greater pagan community and see if anybody else would be interested.

On a purely familial level, though, I would like to get a place for us to honor the Gods, Goddesses, and Wights on a more frequent level. This could be either a fairy/wight garden/house or something similar. I only have the idea at this juncture, nothing concrete or even tangible.


Lastly, I think homesteading would help us on both a financial and a spiritual level. It would be nice to get to working closely with the earth and seeing how that brings changes to the rest of our life. I'm sure it'll be tough, and getting the older kids on board is going to be a challenge. They have issues enough with just washing dishes! But the younger ones won't remember anything else, if I can help it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment