Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ostara

This upcoming weekend, we are having a gathering at our house for Ostara. Being an introvert, I have mixed feelings about this. While I love getting the growing Iowa Heathen community together, it means I have to open my home to people I don't know very well, and many more of them than I would like at one time.

I love our gatherings. The last time we had one was Yule, so it's definitely time for another.

I have mixed feelings about Ostara though. Within Asatru, Germanic Reconstruction, Heathenism, or whatever you want to call it, I haven't found many accurate accounts for a spring celebration akin to the way Ostara is celebrated. Bunnies, and eggs, fertility, and dawn. Or whatever they want to put it as.

While I certainly feel like the Equinox should be celebrated, I don't think I quite like the way that it has been done lately. Now, I also don't know how to fix it. I haven't had nearly enough time to read through lore, and historical accounts. I think maybe focus on the spinning of the wheel, sure some sort of fertility can go in there. But leave out the bunnies, and the references to Eostre. I think Frigg would be an acceptable Goddess to honor. Freya, maybe to a lesser extent. She is more of a sexual warrior type of personality, that I don't think quite fits in with Spring. Frigg nurtures, the way that spring is nurturing the earth after the long winter, making way for summer.

This all sounds very hippy of me, in my opinion. I started on a pagan path through Wicca, and have since moved on from the very mystical side of things. They're still there, but my main focus is on the tangible, and making the best life for myself, my kin, and community.

I can't seem to get my thoughts straight lately, and lean towards rambling more often than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment